Hi, I'm Pieter. I am a 27-year-old PhD student at Hasselt University (UHasselt) who is interested in wireless security, network security, privacy, machine learning, and cryptography. Besides my research, I enjoy playing the guitar, producing electronic music, and spending time on my secret hobby projects. I hope to be able to contribute something to a scientific discovery that would truly change the world someday.
pirobyns at gmail dot com
LoRa is a novel modulation scheme for low power, long range, and low bandwidth machine-to-machine communications that has recently gained popularity in the wireless community. The goal of the gr-lora project is to provide GNU Radio blocks that can decode these LoRa messages on the physical layer using Software Defined Radios (SDRs).
PEAPwn is a proof-of-concept implementation of the PEAP / LEAP relay attack introduced in my paper. It uses a modified version of
wpa_supplicant to establish a PEAP or EAP-TTLS session with the target Authentication Server, and a Python script to exploit several vulnerabilities in iOS < 8 and the MSCHAPv2 protocol.
Proof-of-concept of a remote frame injection vulnerability that was introduced in the 802.11n Wi-Fi standard and discussed in my paper. It is demonstrated how the A-MPDU aggregation mechanism can be exploited to perform a Packet-in-Packet (PIP) attack.
Pieter Robyns, Peter Quax, Wim Lamotte. Improving CEMA using Correlation Optimization. IACR Transactions on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (TCHES). 2019 (to appear).
- Performing research related to computer security and privacy with a focus on wireless security, machine learning, software defined radio, side channel attacks, and embedded security under the FWO Strategic Basic Research (SBO) grant.
- Assisting in guiding students during their course projects, lab assignments and thesis.
- Extended master thesis to look for vulnerabilities in 802.1X EAP methods (WPA2-Enterprise) and other authentication protocols, such as WPS.
- Researched privacy related weaknesses in the 802.11 (Wi-Fi) standard, including amendments such as 802.11n, 802.11ac, 802.11u, and others.
- Participated in several Coursera courses, and performed a broad literature study of digital signal processing with SDRs (using GNU Radio), the GSM protocol, and machine learning.
- Assisted in guiding students during their course projects, lab assignments and thesis.
Performed an audit of the security of uhasselt.be for all publicly accessible pages and pages accessible by students. Topics covered include the discovery of hidden content, security of client side controls (SQLi, XSS, LDAP injection, ...), password and authentication security, random number generator entropy analysis, multi-stage form security, session management, access controls, and basic server application security.
- Developed manageability tools for EOS, a multi petabyte disk storage system used by physicists of all 4 LHC experiments.
- EOS quota visualization using Google Chart API and Python.
- EOS permission check: syntax checking of ACL attributes and correcting dangerous permissions by analyzing large metadata files (~5 GB).
- Hadoop file history view, 'grep-like' search and long term log file archival (~50 GB).
A report can be found here (pdf).
- [study guide]
- [study guide]
- [study guide]
- My students:
- Mariano Di Martino, Social Profiling of Users through Information Leakages, Master's thesis, 2018
- Jef Timmermans, Locally Secured Cloud Backup, Bachelor's thesis, 2016
- Rick Habets, Bots in the Beehive, Bachelor's thesis, 2015
- Served as a session chair at the 3rd International Conference on Internet of Things, Big Data and Security.
- Award granted by BELCLIV for my Master's thesis 'Wireless Network Privacy'. BELCLIV is an organisation that promotes initiatives which aim to improve information and network security.
- A yearly award given by Hasselt University to a student with admirable achievements.
Excellent knowledge of
Very good knowledge of
Average knowledge of
Basic knowledge of
- In 2011 - 2012 I was president of the student fraternity 'Filii Lamberti', which organizes events for students such as the 'Intro TD', 'Filii Comedy Night', 'Jungle Love TD', and a debate at the university featuring speakers from IBM.
- During my time as a student at Hasselt University, I was a member of the student council. It was our task to provide feedback to the university staff about the quality of courses, infrastructure, and exams.
- I play the guitar in a band called 'I, The Current'. The name is a reference to other bands in the genre such as 'I, The Breather'. At the same time, 'I' is also the symbol for current intensity.